Saturday, July 7, 2007

Worth More Dead Than Alive To Some




In efforts to get a little exercise, my husband John and I visit Meinen Field a couple times a week, where we jog around the track for varying durations and intensities, depending on our energy levels.

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed a huge tree trunk lying on wood blocks at the south end of the track. My oxygen-deprived brain didn’t initially register that this was kind of odd. But as we continued our laps, a truly strange thought emerged from my synapses.

“I wonder if that’s the truck from the copper beech that Bradley cut down,” I remarked to John. He immediately embraced this idea. “I’ll bet it is.”

We continued to discuss the notion during our jog. It seemed a little preposterous. Why would Bradley, or somebody, lug this huge tree trunk to Meinen Field and put it up on blocks? It also seemed a little preposterous that we would just stumble upon it this way. It would be like me walking into a random Peoria house only to find the staircase from my old house at 841 N. Maplewood newly installed and leading to the second floor. And yet. . .

Well, I was able to verify that this is indeed the trunk from the copper beech that until a few weeks ago had been growing for more than 100 years on Glenwood Avenue between the now non-existent Sigma Chi house and the equally non-existent Alumni Center. The trunk is up on blocks to be dried out, and beyond that I don’t know what’s going to be done with it.

File it in the “It’s a small, strange world” category.

No comments: