Sunday, July 15, 2007

Ghosts of Faculty Past on Maplewood


In 1964, when my family moved to 841 N. Maplewood, the John Shroyer family lived in what at this writing is the sole remaining house on the 800 block of Maplewood. Dr. Shroyer was Head of the Chemistry Department and Dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. The Shroyers lived in the house less than two years after we arrived. However, when my sister Theresa was born in the Spring of 1965, they gave my parents a silver spoon as a gift. The south wing of Bradley Hall is named the Shroyer Academic Hall.

My family and the Shroyer’s are just two examples of the Bradley employees who lived on Maplewood. A very partial list of the family names includes: Cummings, Deliniski, Hurd, Keating, Wessler, Dusenberry, Nothdurft, Novak, Smythe, Haverhals, Teeven, Richey, Jamieson.

One of the most colorful Bradley employees who lived on Maplewood had to be Pat Sier. She and her husband Don lived on the corner of Maplewood and Laura across from our house. Among other things, Pat worked as hair dresser, a veterinary tech and from 1976 to 1982 a security guard at Bradley. She was a short, short-haired, feisty woman who was the Gladys Kravitz of the neighborhood. One time, some soda bottles were stolen off a neighbor’s porch and thanks to Pat’s observant eye, the thief was apprehended.

When I was in high school, I used to baby sit Pat’s daughter Robin. A few years later when I was leaving my house for a potluck, the brownies I had on the front seat started to slide to the floor as I turned left from Laura onto Maplewood. Stupidly, I went to save the brownies and kept turning into a parked car on Maplewood. It was an old car made of heavy metal. Almost all of the damage was to my parents’ station wagon. I was very upset and not knowing whom the car belonged to, went up to the Sier’s door and knocked. I was crying when Pat answered. She was very comforting to me, telling me the other car was hardly damaged and the people wouldn’t care anyway.

After Pat’s stint at Bradley, she and her husband went on to own an auction company, a job perfectly suited to her energy level. Besides their daughter Robin, they also adopted a son, Justin. Pat died in 2001 at age 55 of a brain tumor.

She was the kind of person who made Maplewood such a fun place to live.

No comments: