Saturday, July 7, 2007

Still Standing


I really thought 841 N. Maplewood would be gone by now. Heck, I didn’t think it would even see the light of June. Having been stripped of its windows, shutters, and much of its siding, the grand, old homestead doesn’t look much like the picture above, but it’s still there.

The 900 block of Maplewood, however, is gone, a span of empty lots now. As of a couple days ago, eight houses, in varying stages of intactness, remain on the 800 block of Maplewood between Laura and Bradley Ave. Three houses on Bradley have recently been demolished with one more to go.

Williams Brothers, the construction company, has parked a couple of trailers on the 800 block and put up a chain link fence around a few of the newly created empty lots. 841 N. Maplewood, on the corner of Laura and Maplewood and 839 are outside the fence. Likewise there is a fence around part of the 900 block, where the parking deck will be constructed. If I read Bradley University’s plan correctly, the spot where our old house is will be part of a quad, so perhaps there’s not as much urgency to get the house down.

For whatever reason, it’s still standing. I think I feel one more flurry of posts before this blog and probably the remaining houses on Maplewood are finished.

2 comments:

Kevin K said...

Hi Maria,

I was on google and somehow came across your blog. Sorry about your old house... Great memories though! Nice job describing your memories then and very interesting to read. I remember many of the same things. Yes, I admit, I was one of the different hair lengths you mentioned walking down Laura Ave. Thanks for the anonymity there. Best wishes to you and your family.

Kevin K

Maria Carroll said...

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for reading my blog.

You pulled off the longer hair length well.

Maria