Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Globetrotting on Maplewood


My dad worked at Bradley for his entire career—almost 40 years. During that time, we met a lot of his colleagues. One of them was Curley Johnson, who served as head of security at Bradley University.

Like my dad, Curley had an association with Bradley before going to work there. In Curley’s case, he was one of the first African-American basketball players at Bradley. After he graduated, Curley worked as a probation officer in Chicago before coming back to Peoria.

One of my dad’s responsibilities at Bradley was student discipline, so he had a close working relationship with the head of security. Curley would occasionally stop by our house.

I remember one embarrassing encounter that I had with Curley. Well, I wasn’t smart enough to be embarrassed by it then. Curley was a very friendly, jovial man whom we immediately took a liking to. When I found out that his first name was Curley, I insisted on knowing what his “real” name was. Chomping down on his cigar, he repeatedly told me, “Curley.” I asserted that this had to be a nickname, and feeling like I was being duped, persisted in asking him, “No, really, what is your real name.” Wide-eyed, what could Curley do but insist upon the truth? I think later when I asked my, dad who confirmed that Curley was indeed his real name, I may have felt a bit perplexed but the embarrassment didn’t come until later.

One day, Curley dropped off his young son at our house to stay with us for a few hours. His son, whose given name was also Curley, had the nickname of Boo. Boo was probably about eight or nine years old and we liked him as much as his father. He was quiet and had the most beautiful afro. What else could we do but go across the alley to the Dougherty’s and shoot baskets?

Boo Johnson, of course, went on to have a glorious 17-year career with the Harlem Globetrotters, where he was known as one of the fastest dribblers in the world. I never had any more contact with Boo after a couple of these childhood visits, but like many Peorians, I followed his career through the newspaper.

I remember reading Boo’s remarks to some students at Harrison School. As a Globetrotter, Boo had gotten to do just that and had been all over the world. He told the kids from the south side of Peoria about the homeless children he had seen in some poor countries, children who didn’t have families or food on a regular basis or a school to go to. You have everything, Boo told these kids—running water, teachers, books, a place to sleep. Appreciate and take advantage of your opportunities was the message.

How many times have Peoria’s children from District 150 been told that from such a credible messenger?
Harlem Globetrotter and Peoria native Curley "Boo" Johnson demonstrates his basketball spinning prowess.

No comments: