Friday, May 25, 2007

A Tale of Two Trees



Pictured to the right are two trees. The tree on top is a copper beech, located on Glenwood. It is scheduled to be destroyed to make way for Bradley University’s new student recreation center. This is a shame, and I’m wondering if there is any way this tree can be saved.
As you can see from the picture, it is a magnificent tree. I don’t know how old the tree is, but from its size, it’s clearly been around a long time. I think it’s worth some architectural re-adjusting to keep it.

We can’t take trees for granted, especially in urban areas. Besides their natural beauty, trees reduce pollution and act as sound barriers. Apartment buildings surrounded by trees have lower crime rates.

The tree on the bottom is a maple. It sits in the corner of what I am still pitifully referring to as my front yard at 841 N. Maplewood, although the land is now owned by Bradley University and will soon cease to be a yard.

I remember when this tree was planted in 1984. My dad and brother planted it to replace a tree that had died. As you can see, like the copper beech, the maple is flourishing.

I don’t know what the University’s plan for this tree is, but I am hoping that it too can be saved. If I read the map of Bradley’s expansion properly, the space where our house now sits will be part of a quad. Certainly there can be no objection to a lovely tree on a quad.

Predicting the future is no sure thing, but here is one thing I feel certain about: cutting down trees in urban settings will be looked at as a colossal error in not too many years, and not just by environmentalists.

PRESERVE TREES IN URBAN AREAS!!

No comments: